Visitor Policies & Guidelines
Family presence is an important part of the patient’s healing process. We want to let you know how families can participate in this care process and how visitors can help keep the patient safe and create the best healing environment. Here’s what you should know about our hospital hours.
Please view our updated COVID-19 visitor guidelines.
If you'd like to send a card or letter to one of our patients, just address it to:
Attention: [Patient Name], [Room Number]
2018 W Clinch Avenue
Knoxville, TN 37916
If the patient is no longer at the hospital when we receive your mail, we will forward it to their home address.
Parents and guests are discouraged from bringing Latex balloons as gifts for our patients. East Tennessee Children's Hospital is a latex-free facility due to risk of allergies. Please only bring Mylar balloons as gifts for patients.
Second, third and fourth floors
- Parents or caregivers are encouraged to stay 24 hours a day.
- Please refer to COVID-19 Visitation Guidelines for information on visiting patients during COVID-19
- Visiting hours are 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. every day.
- Visitors younger than age 14 must be with an adult.
- After hours (between 10 p.m. and 8 a.m.)
- Only two people may stay at the bedside.
- Those staying must be age 18 or older.
- If the patient is sharing a room, only one person may stay at the bedside
- Security will hand out family passes to those who are spending the night. This happens between 6 p.m. and 9 p.m. each day.
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
- Parent or caregivers are encouraged to stay 24 hours a day.
- Visiting hours are 8 a.m. to 6:45 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Visitors must be at least 16 years old and accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Siblings are welcome to visit Mon.-Fri. between 4-6 p.m. or Sat. and Sun. between 2-6 p.m.
- After 10 p.m. only 2 people may stay at the bedside.
Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
- Visiting hours are 7:15 a.m. to 6:45 p.m. and 7:15 p.m. to 6:45 a.m.
- Only four people may be in the room at one time, including family.
- Only one parent may sleep at the bedside.
- Visitors must be at least 3 years old.
- Open 24 hours a day.
- Only two people may be in the exam and treatment areas, including family.
- Two passes will be issued at check-in.
Reasons we may change hours
- The patient needs rest or privacy.
- The patient is getting medical treatment.
- We may need to stop the spread of germs.
- Visiting may cause problems with the care of the patient or other patients.
- There are security concerns.