Patient/Family Rights & Responsibilities
We care about the rights of all our patients and families.
Download the English version
Download the Spanish version
Speak Up! - East Tennessee Children's Hospital encourages you to speak up about your child's care
We know that it is a privilege to care for your child. To make sure that you and your child get the best care, we will:
- Tell you and your child what is going on in a way both you and your child understand.
- Provide interpretive services if you need them
- Tell you and your child who we are, what job we do, and what role we play in your child’s care.
- Listen to you and your child
- Work as a team with you and your child.
- Encourage you and your child to help create a plan of care that is best for him/her.
- Make you and your child feel at ease. Please talk to us about any concerns, fears or complaints you may have.
- Provide a safe environment that is free from neglect, harm and abuse
- Try to make your child feel better if he/she hurts or is uncomfortable.
- Encourage your family and friends to be with you.
- Support your freedom to observe and celebrate special traditions.
- Respect any request for more information, to refuse care, or to get a second opinion.
- Protect you and your child's privacy and personal health information.
- Prohibit discrimination based on age, race, ethnicity, religion, culture, language, physical or mental disability, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity or expression.
We want to do all we can to help your child feel better, but we need your help. Please:
- Tell us complete information about your child's health, symptoms, and any medicine he/she takes.
- Work with our doctors, nurses and care team to plan the best care for your child.
- Tell us if you do not understand the care plan, diagnosis, or treatment.
- Follow the care plan that you and the care team have agreed upon.
- Give only the medicine the doctors says your child should have.
- Tell us if you have any concerns about you or your child's safety.
- Talk to us about your famiily's needs, worried and concerns.
- Ask questions to help us keep you informed.
- Tell us your ideas about how we can meet you and your child’s needs.
- Respect the privacy and the rights of other patients, families and staff.
- Help other patients rest by keeping noise at a level that can only be heard insside your room.
- Bring your child's favorite toy or blanket, but leave your other valued items at home.
- Follow Children's Hospital policies involving visiting, use of tobacco products, alcohol, illegal drugs, weapons and firearms.
- Keep track of your personal items and take them with you when you go home.
Questions/Concerns? You may contact our office of Patient Experience: 865-541-8724 / 865-541-8586
If you still have concerns after speaking with us, you may contact:
Tennessee Department of Health
Division of Health Care Facilities
Centralized Complaint Intake Unit
665 Mainstream Drive, Second Floor
Nashville, TN 37243
Office of Quality and Patient Safety
The Joint Commission
One Renaissance Blvd.
Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181