East Tennessee Children's Hospital recognizes that medical problems can sometimes create financial problems. Our staff is here to assist you in finding resources that may help cover your medical expenses. There are options for every family. In order to qualify for other hospital assistance programs all possible insurance options must be exhausted by the family.
All patient charges are the same regardless of insurance coverage. Discounts will vary based on specific contracts with individual insurance companies.
All families are expected to set up payment arrangements to begin the first month they are billed. If that is a hardship, please apply for financial assistance (see below).
Children's Hospital will help provide financial assistance to all families. Financial Assistance is available as to any hospital charges, including emergency charges.
We offer assistance in the following ways:
- Help you determine what programs are available and if you would qualify for assistance.
- Help direct you to possible insurance coverage and assist you in how to apply.
- Determine any applicable discount amounts for uninsured patients.
- Families with no insurance are given a 40% discount from charges.
- Provide Financial Assistance Form to review for charity care:
Please contact a Patient Account Representative at 865-541-8187 Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. for help.
CoverKids offers free health coverage for pregnant women and children who do not have insurance and who do not qualify for TennCare. Children age 18 and under also get dental and vision benefits. Preventive health care is free! Sick visits and medication have very low co-pays. And pregnant women get prenatal, delivery and 60 days postpartum care.
For more information about CoverKids, visit www.CoverKids.com or call 1-866-620-8864.
We offer charity care for any family who earns less that 200% of the current Federal Poverty guidelines. For example: In 2015, a family of four could earn up to $47,700.00 to qualify. These amounts are updated annually. Families must apply for all possible insurance coverage before we will consider you for charity care. Once you have exhausted all insurance options we will assist you with an application for charity care.
To apply for charity care:
- Call a Patient Account Representative at 865-541-8187 Monday through Friday between 8-4:30 for help.
- Print a copy of the Financial Assistance Form:
Please mail your completed application to:
East Tennessee Children's Hospital
P.O. Box 15010
Knoxville, TN 37901-5010
Attn: Business Office Director
Applications will be processed within two weeks of receipt. A letter will be mailed to confirm approval or denial. If approved, it is for the hospital bills only. The letter you receive can be used to show assistance at Children's Hospital. This will many times qualify your family for assistance with other providers who cared for your child. Those offices must be contacted separately to verify if they will offer assistance. Some of the most frequent providers are:
- Team Health: 888-952-6772
- Vista Radiology: 865-766-0112
- Anesthesia: 877-288-1799
If your family is denied or does not request financial assistance, our Self Pay department will assist in setting up a monthly plan that works for your family's budget.
- Once all insurance has paid, your account balance will move to our Self Pay department. That account will remain in that department as long as needed.
- Payments must be made monthly. If a problem arises with keeping that payment plan you must contact us. When families keep us informed, we will work with them.
- Accounts are only placed in collections for the following reasons: refusal to pay and mail returned with no additional contact information.
- Nonpayment of an account can result in legal proceedings and have a negative impact on your credit rating.
- Accounts are not reported to the credit bureau until the point we get to legal proceedings.
- Financial assistance applications are accepted at any point in the process. There is no time limit to apply for assistance.
If you are in need of self pay assistance, please call the Self Pay Patient Account Representatives at (865) 541-8187 Monday through Friday between 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Our staff's goal is to exceed your expectations and help you in understanding your financial responsibility. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns. Thank you for choosing East Tennessee Children's Hospital for your child's health care needs. It is always our pleasure to serve you.