Volunteer at East Tennessee Children’s Hospital
A Little Help Goes a Long Way
While our doctors, nurses and other health care professionals work hard to provide the best in pediatric health care to this region, East Tennessee Children's Hospital's volunteers devote numerous hours of their free time to help the hospital run smoothly.
At East Tennessee Children's Hospital, we depend on our volunteers. Since the mid-1960s, the Children's Hospital Volunteers have been helping the hospital and patient families to have a more comfortable hospital experience.
Be a Volunteer
Each month, hundreds of area women and men unselfishly give a few hours of their time, to help our young patients and their families. Volunteers devote many hours to managing projects and fundraisers that purchase supplies and fund services to make a child's stay in the hospital more enjoyable. As a volunteer, you can make a significant contribution to the mission of Children's Hospital - providing the very best in pediatric health care to the sick and injured children of our region.
We are in need of new adult Volunteers!. If you are interested in volunteering at East Tennessee Children's Hospital, please fill out the form below:
Start the Volunteer Application
Teens Can Volunteer, Too
Summer Volunteen 2021 Update
At this time, the 2021 Summer Volunteen Program is on hold and we will not be accepting applications from high school students. As the COVID-19 pandemic evolves, this could change so we encourage you to continue to visit this webpage for further announcements or changes about the program. Our hospital values the importance of this program, which helps young high school students become more acquainted with service and a professional hospital setting; however, our top priority is ensuring that our patients receive the upmost quality of care. We hope to see our Volunteens again soon!
If you have any questions, please reach out to Volunteer Services at (865) 541-8136. Thank you.
The summer VolunTeen program is open to teens who will be 16 years old by June 1. The summer VolunTeen program offers high school students the opportunity to volunteer for a one week session at our diabetes camp or a two week session at either Children’s Hospital or the Donald M. Gally Summer Camp for patients of Children’s Hospital’s Rehabilitation Center. Click the button to find out more.
Becoming a VolunTeen
Our qualifications are simple. Volunteers must:
- be interested in helping others and making a difference
- be at least 18 years of age; if younger, check out our VolunTeen opportunities below
- complete the online application
- commit to working a four hour shift one day a week for at least six months
- complete a criminal background check
- complete TB screening and provide proof of MMR vaccination
- provide proof of flu vaccination (November - May)
The Children's Hospital Volunteer Services and Programs Department offers many areas where you may choose to contribute your time. Morning, afternoon and evening shifts on weekdays or weekends are available in many areas. You can choose the times that best fit your schedule.
Some of the volunteer opportunities we offer at Children's Hospital include:
- Arts and Crafts - Volunteers help patients and siblings with craft activities in our waiting areas.
- Child Life - Volunteers provide a positive, nurturing play experience for patients. Volunteers are also responsible for cleaning toys and playrooms.
- Cuddlers - Volunteers offer comfort to babies in our Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (90 hours prior volunteer service at East Tennessee Children's Hospital required).
- Gift Shop - Volunteers provide assistance in a retail setting while interacting with patients, families, guests and staff.
- Information Desk - The Information Desk volunteers provide general information about Children's Hospital to our guests.
- Movie Cart - Volunteers offer movies to patients staying overnight.
- Surgery Visitor Area - Volunteers assist parents and family members as they wait for their children who are in surgery.
Job requirements vary by volunteer position, but the key qualities you need to volunteer at Children's Hospital are a pleasant and outgoing personality and a willingness to help.
The Volunteer Services department sponsors Scholarships for eligible students. Download the document below for more information and to apply.
Shadowing is only available in the following areas:
- Respiratory Care
To shadow in these areas, you must be in enrolled in an educational program focusing on one of these fields. Shadowing is limited to 8 hours per annual period and is not available in any other departments or offices. All shadowing applicants must meet hospital requirements and view an orientation presentation.
If you are a college student studying Radiology or Respiratory Care and would like to shadow in these departments, call the Volunteer Services department at