East Tennessee Health & Wellness Programs
East Tennessee Children's Hospital's dedication to our community extends beyond the medical services we provide. In fulfilling our mission, Children's Hospital is involved in community outreach projects throughout East Tennessee and our 16-county service area to provide services, support, and education in a variety of ways.
East Tennessee Children's Hospital Community Benefits Overview
Our Community Outreach Programs
- Upcoming Events – Find out what's happening locally with our community calendar of upcoming safety classes, injury prevention events, outreach programs, fundraisers and special events sponsored by or benefiting East Tennessee Children's Hospital.
- Camps for Kids with Special Needs – Children's Hospital sponsors summer camps for a number of our patients with special medical needs who might be unable to attend a traditional camp. The camps for our diabetes, hematology/oncology and Rehabilitation Center patients are staffed with health care professionals who provide supervision and needed medical care during the camping experience.
- Community Health Needs Assessment – Periodically, not-for-profit hospitals are required to conduct a community health needs assessment (CHNA) and develop an implementation plan to best serve the community's health needs. You can read more about Children's Hospital’s plan to address the health needs of our community in the community health needs assessment.
- Healthy Kids Programs – Our Healthy Kids programs and classes promote safety and specialized care for children and adults throughout Knoxville and the rest of our community. For more information, call the Community Benefits Department at 865-541-8165.
- Safe Sitter and CPR Classes – The Healthy Kids program offers babysitting classes for kids ages 11-14 and CPR classes for ages 14 and up. Take a look at our schedule of upcoming classes and pre-register today.
- Eat and Live Healthy – Get more information about our health and wellness programs and learn how your organization can join and help us improve the health of children.
- Project ADAM – Tennessee – Project ADAM (Automated Defibrillators in Adam's Memory), brought to Tennessee by Children's Hospital, is a not-for-profit national program that serves children and adolescents through education and deployment of life-saving programs to help prevent sudden cardiac arrest.
- Breathe Easy: Asthma Screening – More than 7 million children suffer from asthma in the United States. Asthma often starts during childhood, so early detection is very important. Children's Hospital offers an asthma screening program to help kids manage their symptoms early so they can live normal, active lives.
- Pediatric Resource Directory - This resource directory is composed of organizations that have similar missions as East Tennnessee Children's Hospital, improving the health and well-being of children.
Injury Prevention Programs
Each year, one out of every four children needs medical attention for an accidental injury, but the good news is that up to 90 percent of these injuries can be prevented through education. For more information, contact our Injury Prevention coordinators at (865) 541-8622.
- Bike Helmet Safety Program – East Tennessee Children's Hospital helps educate kids and their parents about bike helmet use and injury prevention.
- Safe Travels: Child Passenger Safety – The child passenger safety experts at East Tennessee Children's Hospital offer answers to these questions and more, including information on the proper installation and importance of using a child passenger safety seat, as well as the revised Tennessee law. Safe Travels is funded by a generous grant from Pilot Flying J.
Partnerships & Affiliations
As an advocate for children, Children's Hospital provides staff, volunteers, in-kind services and/or financial support to many community organizations whose goals are to help children, including:
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- American Heart Association
- Angel Wings Memory Gowns
- Boys & Girls Club of ET
- Butterfly Fund of East Tennessee Foundation
- Children's Miracle Network
- Covenant Health, Peninsula Behavioral Health "Artsclamation!"
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- Dream Connection
- Economic Development Through Area Chambers of Commerce
- Emerald Youth Foundation
- Fort Sanders Perinatal Center
- Friends of Tennessee Babies with Special Needs
- Galactosemia Foundation
- Girl Talk, Inc.
- Hearts for Hadley
- Knox County Health Department
- Knoxville Area Coalition on Childhood Obesity
- Knoxville Area Urban League
- Leukemia/Lymphoma Light the Night Walk
- March of Dimes
- Pediatric Brain Foundation
- Project Adam
- Ronald McDonald House
- Safe Kids of The Greater Knox Area
- Sprint for the Prints
- Tennessee Emergency Medical Services for Children
- Tennessee Highway Safety Office
- Tennessee Suicide Prevention
- The Muse Knoxville, You Exhibit
- TN Medical Foundation
- United Way
- University of Tennessee Foundation
- Variety, Children's Charity