Summer Nurse Extern Program
East Tennessee Children's Hospital offers students the opportunity to discover pediatric nursing during a 10-week paid externship program. During the program, students work alongside pediatric professionals providing care for high-acuity and diverse populations in East Tennessee's only comprehensive regional pediatric center.
- Increase pediatric nursing knowledge
- Enhance professional skills in the following domains:
- Time management
- Establish interpersonal relationships through networking and collaboration
- Foster professional development
- Interest in a career in pediatric nursing
- Successfully completed junior level nursing courses in NLN-accredited program and will enter last academic year in the upcoming fall semester
- 3 letters of reference (2 of which from nursing instructors)
- Commit to the entire 10-week program, working a variety of 8 and 12 hour shifts
- Specialized New Employee Orientation for Nurse Externs
- Orientation specific to the nurse extern role and skills that will be required as a Patient Care Assistant
- Wide variety of departmental observation days
- Unit specific orientation and training
For more information, Contact Lauren Fisher at (865) 541-8255.