East Tennessee Children's Hospital Celebrates World Kidney Day
Kidney disease affects 10% of the population, i.e., 1 in 10 people have kidney disease. It affects people of all ages and kidney disease might not have any symptoms, i.e., it can be silent. This year’s slogan for World kidney day is "Living Well With Kidney Disease." It is important to aim for overall wellbeing of a patient. Here is some information on kidneys and how to protect kidneys.
The Eight Golden Rules of Kidney Care
- Keep fit, be active
- Eat a healthy diet
- Check and control your blood sugar
- Check and control your blood pressure
- Take appropriate fluid intake
- Don’t smoke
- Don’t take over-the-counter anti-inflammatory/pain-killer pills regularly
- Get your kidney function checked if you have any ‘high risk’ factors
- you have diabetes
- you have hypertension
- you are obese
- you have a family history of kidney disease
For more information about the Eight Golden Rules, go to https://www.worldkidneyday.org/2021-campaign/mygr8rule/.
More information can be found at https://www.worldkidneyday.org/2021-campaign/.