High Quality Pediatric Care in East Tennessee
East Tennessee Children's Hospital is a 152-bed hospital certified by the state of Tennessee as one of four Comprehensive Regional Pediatric Center in Tennessee and is accredited by the Joint Commission. As a Comprehensive Regional Pediatric Center, Children's Hospital offers full capabilities to care for seriously ill children in a unique pediatric environment and offers the services of many different pediatric subspecialties. Children's Hospital works jointly with the University of Tennessee Medical Center to ensure that injured children in this region receive trauma care at the institution most appropriate for the child's needs. We also assist smaller hospitals by providing pediatric health care training opportunities.
Since our first day in 1937, we have had an "open-door" policy that no child will be denied care because of race, religion or their parents' ability to pay their child's medical bill.
Because children are special... they deserve the best possible health care given in a positive, family-centered atmosphere of friendliness, cooperation, and support - regardless of race, religion, or ability to pay. Their medical needs are closely related to their emotional and informational needs; therefore, the total child must be considered in treating any illness or injury. Their health care requires family involvement, special understanding, special equipment, and specially trained personnel who recognize that children are not miniature adults. Their health care can best be provided by a facility with a well-trained medical and hospital staff whose only interests and concerns are with the total health and well-being of infants, children, and adolescents.
"East Tennessee Children's Hospital will improve the health of children through exceptional, comprehensive family-centered care, wellness, and education."
Leading the way to healthy children
Our Core Values
At East Tennessee Children’s Hospital, care is at the CORE of who we are. We are comprised of team members who live out our core values of Compassion, Ownership, Respect, and Excellence. We support each other by fostering a culture of team engagement that creates moments that matter – every interaction, every time.
- Compassion – We imagine what others are going through, work to alleviate suffering, and create joy whenever possible.
- Ownership – We take pride in our work, act with integrity, and feel personal responsibility for achieving our mission.
- Respect – We listen, understand, and communicate openly and politely. We recognize our diverse strengths.
- Excellence – We set high standards for performance in delivering the safest patient care. We give extraordinary and meaningful experiences to our patients, their families, team members, and the community we serve.
Child and Family-centered Care
Child- and Family-centered care is an approach to pediatric health care that focuses on the family as a child's primary source of strength and support. The philosophy shapes policies, programs, facility design and day-to-day practices. It is visible in large and small ways throughout hospitals that adopt the approach. Information sharing and collaboration between families and staff are the cornerstones of family-centered care. Child- and Family-centered health care professionals recognize the vital role families play in ensuring the health and well-being of infants, children, adolescents and family members of all ages. They acknowledge emotional, social and developmental support are integral components of health care.
With this approach, family-centered care:
- Empowers families and fosters independence
- Supports family caregiving and decision making
- Respects family choices
- Builds on family strengths
- Involves families in all aspects of the planning, delivery and evaluation of health care
Key principles of family-centered care:
- People are treated with dignity and respect.
- Health care providers communicate and share complete and unbiased information with families in ways that are affirming and useful.
- Individuals and families build on their strengths by participating in experiences that enhance control and independence.
Serving Eastern Tennessee & Beyond
Children's Hospital has been a part of the East Tennessee community since 1937. It is not just Knox County's hospital - it is here for children throughout the southeast region, including Southeast Kentucky, Southwest Virginia and these Tennessee counties: