Our volunteers make a difference ...
Each month, hundreds of area women and men unselfishly give a few hours of their time, love and attention to our young patients and their families. Volunteers devote many hours to managing projects and fundraisers that purchase supplies and fund services to make a child's stay in the hospital more enjoyable. As a volunteer, you can make a significant contribution to the mission of Children's Hospital - providing the very best in pediatric health care to the sick and injured children of our region.
You're just the person we've been looking for ...
East Tennessee Children's Hospital volunteers are varied and talented - professionals, retirees, students, newcomers, stay-at-home moms, women and men of all ages. Whatever your reasons for volunteering, whatever your background or skills, we would like to talk to you about helping us at Children's Hospital.
Our qualifications are simple. Volunteers must:
- have the desire to meet new people and make new friends
- be interested in helping others and making a difference in our world while broadening their range of skills and knowledge
- be at least 18 years of age; if younger, check out our VolunTeen opportunities below
- complete orientation and follow procedures
- provide two written references
- commit to working a four hour shift one day a week for at least six months
- complete a criminal background check
- complete TB screening and provide proof of MMR vaccination
The Children's Hospital Volunteer Services and Programs Department offers many areas where you may choose to contribute your time. Morning, afternoon and evening shifts on weekdays or weekends are available in many areas. You can choose the times that best fit your schedule.
Some of the volunteer opportunities we offer at Children's Hospital include the following:
- Arts and Crafts - Volunteers help patients and siblings with craft activities in our waiting areas.
- Child Life - Volunteers assist the child life specialists in play and play therapy.
- Cuddlers - Volunteers offer comfort to babies in our Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (6 months prior volunteer service at East Tennessee Children's Hospital required).
- Gift Shop - Volunteers provide assistance in a retail setting while interacting with patients, families, guests and staff.
- Information Desk - The Information Desk volunteers provide general information about Children's Hospital to our guests.
- Outpatient Clinics - Volunteers assist in clinic activities and in the clinic play areas.
- Patient Services - Volunteers visit patient rooms to assist with menu collection and offer comfort items to families.
- Pediatric Medical Library - The library provides resources for our staff. Volunteers assist in reshelving books and helping to maintain the library.
- Surgery Lounge - Volunteers assist parents and family members as they wait for their children who are in surgery.
Job requirements vary by volunteer position, but the key qualities you need to volunteer at Children's Hospital are a pleasant and outgoing personality and a willingness to help. In return, you will receive a meal allowance and complimentary parking. If you are a student, you may also benefit from practical experience in a field related to your major.
We are currently accepting applications for VolunTeens to volunteer for a 4-hour shift between the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. The 4-hour shift will offer teens the opportunity to assist our patients, families and staff in several areas. A few areas are Koppel Information Desk, arts and crafts in the main lobby, and Movie Cart. Please note that all VolunTeens will be placed in non-clinical areas. Eligible teens must be at least 14 years old, have transportation, be able to commit to one 4-hour shift a week and have a heart for volunteering. The VolunTeen position is ideal for home schooled students and high school seniors who are completing a senior project. For an application and information, please call 865-541-8525.
Volunteer at a Children's Hospital Fundraising Event
For our events to be successful, we depend on the Volunteer spirit! Each month special events take place, including fundraisers, educational programs and other activities. The Children's Miracle Network Celebration each year and the Fantasy of Trees each November are the two largest such events, but many others also take place throughout the year. Volunteers help at these events in various capacities. View a list of fundraisers for East Tennessee Children's Hospital where we could use your help. If you are interested in assisting Children's Hospital at one of these community volunteer events, please contact Children's Hospital Development Department at (865) 541-8441.