Our qualifications are simple. Volunteers must:
- have the desire to meet new people and make new friends
- be interested in helping others and making a difference in our world while broadening their range of skills and knowledge
- be at least 18 years of age
- complete orientation and follow procedures
- provide two written references
- commit to working a four hour shift one day a week for at least three months
- complete a criminal background check
- complete TB screening and provide proof of MMR vaccination
The Children's Hospital Volunteer Services and Programs Department offers many areas where you may choose to contribute your time. Morning, afternoon and evening shifts on weekdays or weekends are available in many areas. You can choose the times that best fit your schedule.
Some of the volunteer opportunities we offer at Children's Hospital include the following:
- Arts and Crafts - Volunteers help patients and siblings with craft activities in our waiting areas.
- Child Life - Volunteers assist the child life specialists in play and play therapy.
- Cuddlers - Volunteers offer comfort to babies in our Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (6 months prior volunteer service at East Tennessee Children's Hospital required).
- Gift Shop - Volunteers provide assistance in a retail setting while interacting with patients, families, guests and staff.
- Information Desk - The Information Desk volunteers provide general information about Children's Hospital to our guests.
- Outpatient Clinics - Volunteers assist in clinic activities and in the clinic play areas.
- Patient Services - Volunteers visit patient rooms to assist with menu collection and offer comfort items to families.
- Pediatric Medical Library - The library provides resources for our staff. Volunteers assist in reshelving books and helping to maintain the library.
- Surgery Lounge - Volunteers assist parents and family members as they wait for their children who are in surgery.
Job requirements vary by volunteer position, but the key qualities you need to volunteer at Children's Hospital are a pleasant and outgoing personality and a willingness to help. In return, you will receive a meal allowance and complimentary parking. If you are a student, you may also benefit from practical experience in a field related to your major.