Welcome to Developmental Behavioral Center in Knoxville, TN
Children with learning, developmental and/or behavioral issues may benefit from the experience and training of a pediatrician certified in developmental-behavioral pediatrics. Dr. Deborah Christiansen and her team have joined the staff of East Tennessee Children's Hospital to provide these services to young children, adolescents and their families.
Upon referral from a child or adolescent's primary care physician, Dr. Christiansen and her team perform a comprehensive evaluation and formulate a customized treatment plan. A child's behavior is assessed in the context of chronological and developmental age and often referrals to other disciplines such as psychology, physical, occupational or speech therapy may be required to complete the evaluation.
Patient Resources and Information
Dr. Christiansen, a board certified developmental-behavioral pediatrician, has the expertise to evaluate and provide the best care options for your child. Dr. Christiansen and her team are experts in dealing with the family as well as the child or adolescent when faced with a developmental or behavioral diagnosis.
A comprehensive questionnaire is available for parents to complete. The information is used to schedule the most appropriate appointment. All forms, including the physician referral form, must be completed before an appointment can be scheduled.
Developmental-behavioral pediatricians are medical doctors (MDs) who graduated from a four year medical school, completed three years of residency training in pediatrics and have certification by the American Board of Pediatrics in developmental-behavioral pediatrics based on additional experience in this sub-specialty.
Appointments with the Developmental Behavioral Center are by referral from a child or adolescent's primary care physician. If you have questions about the services provided by the Developmental Behavioral Center, call us today at (865) 690-1464 for more information.
Behavioral Health Center Specialties
East Tennessee Children's Hospital Developmental Behavioral Center specializes in the medical management of Developmental Behavioral issues including:
- Attention and behavioral disorders including attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder and associated conditions including oppositional-defiant behavior, conduct problems, depression, and anxiety disorders
- School-related learning problems
- Tics, Tourette syndrome, and other habit disorders
- Regulatory disorders including sleep disorders, feeding problems, discipline difficulties, complicated toilet-training issues, enuresis (bedwetting), and encopresis (soiling)
- Developmental disabilities such as autism spectrum disorders, cerebral palsy, spina bifida, mental retardation, and visual or hearing impairments
- Delayed development in speech, language, motor skills, and thinking ability
- Behavioral and developmental problems complicating the full range of pediatric chronic illnesses and disabling conditions (for example, genetic disorders, epilepsy, prematurity, diabetes, asthma, cancer)
Since the Developmental Behavioral Center is part of Children's Hospital, the team works in concert with other dedicated healthcare professionals including psychologists, speech-language pathologists, occupational therapists, physical therapists, child psychiatrists, child neurologists, nurse practitioners, physician's assistants, educational diagnosticians, and clinical social workers.
Dr. Christiansen and her team work closely with the family to provide answers and solutions especially when coordinating care with schools and other agencies that the child or adolescent may be involved with on a routine basis. They always dedicate the extra time needed to determine the best treatment options for your child.
Meet the Developmental-Behavioral Center Team
Stephanie Anderson, CPNP
Nurse Practitioner with over 10 years experience in Developmental Behavioral Pediatrics
Jama Boyd, RN
Barbie Allen, RN
Telissa Paine, RN
Get Directions to Behavioral Center in Knoxville
Our office is located at 9017 Cross Park Drive, Suite 300, Knoxville, TN 37923
View a map to our doctor's office and get directions from your location.
Subscribe to Children's Hospital Newsletter
By providing your email you agree to receive periodic emails from East Tennessee Children's Hospital.