How to Get Involved
If you would like to speak with one of our council members or for more information about getting involved, please call (865) 541-8909.
Apply to Join the Family Advisory Council
If you would like to become a member of the Family Advisory Council, please download this PDF application and follow the instructions on the form.
Nominate Someone for the Family Advisory Council
We are looking for some energetic and hard working parents, grandparents, aunts or uncles of children who have either used our hospital's services or who might use them in the future. Please download this PDF nomination form and help us find the right people.
In a Family-Centered Care environment, it is imperative that parents be integrally involved in processes throughout Children's Hospital. The Family Advisory Council will bridge the gap between families and staff to improve the health of children by providing input and influence with regard to policies, programs and practices affecting the delivery of care and services in a family-centered environment.
Priority Goals for the Family Advisory Council
The Family Advisory Council has selected four broad goals that will serve to focus and shape specific actions:
- To respond to hospital departmental requests for assistance and/or advice.
- To provide outreach and education to the parent community and to the staff and provider community of the hospital. The education component includes both the education of the Advisory Council as well as educational efforts provided by the Advisory Council.
- To provide input regarding facility planning and development.
- To serve as a clearinghouse and provide oversight for the other family committees and councils related to the hospital and its services to ensure the continuity of family-centered care and preventing duplication of efforts.
Family Advisory Council Accomplishments
In the five years following the first meeting, where family members identified areas of concern as well as giving praise for what ETCH does right, the council has been an integral part of the hospital. In their monthly meetings, the council has offered suggestions and advice on the following matters:
- dress code
- the lobby renovation
- moving to a non-smoking facility
- the family-activated safety team (FAST)
- the creation of a separate NAS NICU unit
- the new website design
- the recently-announced new facility design
- quality measures to post on the website and their presentation
The Family Advisory Council has also served ETCH committees, including:
- IRB - Institutional Review Board (overlooks all patient research that occurs within the hospital)
- Ethics Committee
- Family Centered Care Steering Committee
- Patient/Family Education Committee
- Palliative Care Committee
Council members have also been on committees looking at more short-term goals, including the website committee and the facilities committee (about the design of the new building). The Council's children even came and painted the "temporary" walls that were up during the renovation of the lobby. When nursing put together a video of a "flash mob" - one of our families spent an entire Sunday for a seconds-long appearance. For the holidays in 2012, the FAC donated and decorated Christmas stockings for every NICU patient in all 3 NICU units.
The council is composed of parents of former, current and future patients of Children's Hospital who have been asked to be a part of the council for at least two years. Here are the council's current members:
- Deborah Dial, Chair
- Dustin Bates
- Brandi Brown
- Anna Castleberry
- Charlotte Crary
- Rachel Humphries
- Wade Knapper
- David McClurkin
- Queenie Nelson-Young
- Crystal Rosecrance
- Becky Smithey
- Jessica Troutman
- Beth Watkins
- Lynn Watson
- Meg Wohlford
Children's Hospital representatives:
- Laura Barnes, Vice President for Patient Care Services
- Joe Childs, Vice President of Medical Services
- Keith Goodwin, Children's Hospital President/CEO
- Mary Pegler, Director of Child Life